Monday, June 10, 2013

It is amazing

These past 5 1/2 weeks have been amazing.  When I sit here and think about how much Eleanor has grown and how much Bryan and I have grown with her I just become a little shocked.  Time has just flown by on one hand and gone so slow on the other.  Some days and nights have seemed to take years, and others are done in the blink of an eye.  I am already nostalgic for the itty bitty newborn of 5 weeks ago, but I also I cannot wait to see what her development will bring next.  I so badly want her to sleep and yet when she sleeps I just want to hold her and "talk."  So many conundrums, so many joys.


The first few weeks were a whirlwind.  The hospital stay, the outpouring of love and support, the visitors, the diapers, the tears of joy, the and tears of exhaustion.  Eleanor got to meet so many important people in her life in the first few days, it's surreal to think about how those relationships will mold and change over time.









Mother's Day came and it was such a special moment.  It took me nearly three quarters of the day to really wrap my head around the significance.  It was almost too mind blowing in the first two weeks of her life to spend the day with my mom and my daughter.  And thinking that one day, perhaps, she will be a mom, too.  Even now it's a little too much to wrap my head around.



Health-wise, Eleanor is an A+ student.  She's gaining weight like a champ (and more!  Getting so chubby... my little gerber baby!) and has aced every exam.  She's battling reflux (Bryan and I are too...), but we are working very closely with the pediatrician to help that situation.



Sleeping may now finally be getting better (maybe?).  The reflux was really impeding any semblance of a night's sleep for the three of us (ok, 4.... Bruno was kept up too).  She would feed and then cry with this horribly sad look that said "I hurt... help me" and there was just so little we could to do help her and sustain that peace.  Oh the poor thing, it just broke my heart.  As we worked on the reflux with the doctor, we began to notice the nights getting a little better.  Then, on her 5 week birthday (a few days after eliminating dairy from my diet, her first night in a different swaddle blanket, her first "real" smile, and after her first bottle with Bryan), she slept 6 hours straight.  Six!  The next night was 5, followed by 6 again.  While that is still a little anomaly, she is hitting at least 4 consistently right now.  It's amazing the perspective it brings to life.  My fog lifted and I knew it would only get better from there.



Oh the smiles!  Eleanor is now at the point where she will smile back when you talk sweetly and smile at her.  Oh I love it so much.  Before last week, we did get a few grins that appeared to not be gas-related, but now... it's wonderful.  On top of that, with the reflux improving, she is just now such a happier baby when she's awake.  5 weeks = magic time.... So far.



Without the love and support of everyone we would not be in this position right now.  Thank you all so much for the visits, the clothes, the cards, the smiles, the laundry, the food, the cuddles with Eleanor, the long flights and short weekends just to spend time with her, and all the love and thoughts and prayers and support you can muster.


It has been hard and it has been tiring.  But, oh, it is amazing.

PS- There are so many more pictures up on our shutterfly site.  Let me know if you need help getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment