Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yes, it was really good

Well, Canlis was awesome. We had a fabulous time and ate some pretty amazing food. Another cool thing: a restaurant with a dress code.... woah, I know. So, yay, we got to dress up! Not the best angle for a picture, but yes, Bryan's wearing a suit (don't worry, plaid shirt underneath!) and I got to wear my fancy black dress that Bryan got me for Christmas!

First of all, Canlis' location is very interesting for those who don't know. It's right off of highway 99/aurora on Queen Anne hill. If you drive 10 more minutes north on Aurora, you hit what we call the prostitution highway. Amazing. Canlis is right off the highway and must have the best soundproofing around. Because of its location, there's a 270 degree view of Lake Washington and the rest of the city- it's absolutely stunning.

When you walk in the door, there's a big fireplace to stand next to while waiting that's made of floor-to-ceiling river rock. So cool- and kind of helps to set the mood for the restaurant. While it's a very fancy, very nice (really expensive!) place to eat, there's a really neat vibe there. Hard to describe, really. When you sit at your table, they pull the table away from the booth so you don't have to scoot in. And when you get up to go to the bathroom, they pull the table; on your way back from the bathroom, someone follows you to pull out the table. It's crazy!

Our meal started with a soup to "excite our palate". A shot-glass sized soup "bowl" with an orange-fennel concoction. It was really yummy. We then ordered the specialty: Peter Canlis Prawns. Bryan has said that these prawns are one of his top ten favorite meals of his life. And for a man about food, that's pretty good. The prawns are described as a vehicle for the sauce. A butter/prawn/lime sauce that is pretty out of this world. You can actually find the recipe for these prawns on their website.

We then had the Canlis starter salad, which for being a starter salad, was fairly amazing (recipe for this online too). Oh yeah, and there's no bread basket on the table. They bring you a new roll as you finish your old one. A good way to not get too stuffed on bread before you eat your meal!

Our entree's were excellent, as well. I had filet mignon and Bryan had the lamb chops. Both were cooked perfectly and the meat was so, so tender and flavorful. Our side dish was truffle fries. Oh wow. French Fries tossed in white truffle infused oil and sea salt. Whew. They were so good. All of it was amazing.

Now, I know I've gone on awhile, but I must tell you about dessert. Donuts! Yes, we had donuts at the nicest restaurant in Seattle. Cinnamon-Apple Donuts with cinnamon ice cream and apple cider syrup. I don't really think I need to say anymore about that....

As we walk out of the restaurant after paying our bill, without saying anything or handing a card to anyone, you walk out the door and your car is there waiting for you. Warm.

Our night was one for the record books. Thanks so much to Festivus Santa for the gift card to push us to finally go there.

And now, I'm getting hungry again..... yikes! Hope you're all doing fantastically!

Lots of love, Lauren and Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment